Friday, July 26, 2013

made at home: chilled two berry pie



Berry Pie Filling:

  • 4-5 cups of strawberries and blueberries (frozen or fresh)
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of cornstarch 
  • 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
  • 4 tablespoons of water 
  • 1 teaspoon of lemon juice 
*(For pie crusts, I always use this recipe. It works wonders, no reason to create my own!)


   Take 1 1/2 cup of the mixed berries (try and get close to an even amount of each kind) and place in a food processor or blender to create a puree. Whisk the sugar and cornstarch over the stove-top  then add the puree to the mixture. Continue to whisk over medium heat, then add the water and maple syrup while bringing it all to a boil. When the mixture seems to be thickened, take off the stove-top and add the lemon juice. Let it cool, then pour on the pie crust. Place the rest of the berries on top of the sauce and refrigerate for at least four hours. 




   I was craving a chilled sweet when I decided to whip up this pie, and had strawberries and blueberries that needed to be put to use. These two berries together are one of my favorite summer combination.  Baking pies from scratch can take up most of an afternoon, but creating "chilled" pies are the simplest (and the best for summer seasons) alternative. It is so effortless to create your own pie sauces, you can completely taste the difference. I ate the last pie of this pie today with my iced coffee, and this is why summer pies are the best of pies. 

11 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks so delicious! I'm coming over for a slice of pie! ;)
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, that looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy!! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe is so good, thank you! I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow <3
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. that pie is too tempting >< i bet its so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. uhmmm, you just "whipped" this pie up?! I'm SO JEALOUS!!! I love baking, but I am always closely following a recipe. I can never just make my own stuff, I always have to plan ahead. this looks so delicious!!!! I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe. you're a talent!

    also, I've probably said this before, but you WOOOORK those yellow tights. I love 'em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious! definitely a summer pie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so delicious! I am craving it now :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for leaving a message! i always love reading your comments. i will try my best to answer any questions asked, but feel free to contact me via email (hellomrrabbitblog@gmail.com) for inquiries or more questions/comments. have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...